Keeping house with free money advice

Tenants living in Sheffield Homes or larger housing association properties can access free money advice thanks to an initiative that started last month.

If people have difficulty with any debt or money issues (even rent arrears), they can contact their landlord who should then arrange an appointment with an independent advice agency (such as Citizens Advice Bureau) for a face-to-face appointment with a benefits and debt adviser.

Appointments will generally take place at advice centres nearest to a tenant’s community, at an outreach session (such as in a library), or, for particularly vulnerable people, through home visits.

Most of Sheffield’s Residential Social Landlords (housing associations, Sheffield Homes, etc) are backing the project as part of their financial inclusion strategy to take positive steps in ensuring people suffering hardship don’t get neglected and into further difficulty.

  • There is a separate scheme for owner-occupiers with mortgage arrears and information is available here. or by calling Sheffield Housing Aid on 273 5450.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s