Sheffield’s Lord Mayor is looking for suggestions on who we would like to see joining the “walk of fame” outside the Town Hall.
Local people are now being invited to nominate the next Sheffield Legend to join the likes of local heroes Sean Bean, Def Leppard, Sebastian Coe and Michael Palin ultimately to be decided by an independent panel.
Lord Mayor, Cllr Graham Oxley said: “This is a very special honour that I know the Legends really value, as they are nominated by the people of Sheffield and chosen by an independent panel. You now have an opportunity to nominate those who have brought recognition to Sheffield at national or international level. We already have some wonderful Legends in our ‘walk of fame’ and there are several personalities who have a strong claim to join them.
“I hope everyone will send in their favourite local heroes to make our Sheffield Legends truly representative of the celebrities from many walks of life associated with this city. The aim is to keep the Legends topical, so we are looking for people who the public can relate to today.”
Sheffield Legends celebrates the city’s heroes from various walks of life – from the arts to science and from sport to industry. They have a special plaque set into the pavement ‘Hollywood Boulevard-style’ – believed to be the first of its kind in this country. Those honoured will be invited for an ‘unveiling’ ceremony outside the Town Hall in the heart of the city.
So far 15 celebrities have been immortalised, although not all have unveiled their plaques yet. They represent a wide cross-section of activities, but all have a strong connection with Sheffield – either being born in the city or having lived here for many years and are strongly associated with the city:
- Gordon Banks – England’s World Cup winning goalkeeper.
- Sean Bean – internationally-renown actor.
- Jarvis Cocker – iconic lead singer with Pulp.
- Joe Cocker – internationally-famous musician.
- Sebastian Coe – Olympic medal winner and Chair of the London 2012 Organising Committee for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
- Derek Dooley – Sheffield footballing legend with both United and Wednesday.
- Brendan Ingle – boxing trainer to world champions.
- Def Leppard – top-selling rock band.
- David Mellor – internationally-acclaimed designer.
- Michael Palin – famous film and television personality.
- Joe Scarborough – unique Sheffield artist.
- Helen Sharman – first British astronaut.
- Joe Simpson – one of the world’s premier rock climbers.
- Michael Vaughan – Yorkshire and England cricket captain.
- Clinton Woods – World Champion boxer.
Those eligible for the awards must either have been born in Sheffield or have a very strong association with the city and must have achieved recognition at national or preferably at international level. Nominees will be required to write a short note of around 50 words to say why their choice should receive the honour. All the nominations will be considered by the Selection Board.
Nominations may be sent to the Lord Mayor, Sheffield City Council at the Town Hall, Pinstone Street, Sheffield S1 2HH by post clearly marked ‘Sheffield Legends’ or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 19 February.